New Faculty Orientation to Teaching
Each fall, the CITL hosts a day-long event for new faculty members of all ranks—tenure- and teaching-track—to introduce them to key resources and information about teaching at Indiana University Bloomington. This teaching-focused event is part of the broader New Faculty Orientation program hosted by VPFAA.
Our goals for the day include the following:
- Provide an overview of key teaching priorities and initiatives at IUB, including the teaching-related goals associated with the IUB2030 strategic plan.
- Assist instructors with understanding the unique characteristics of IUB learners and learning contexts, so you can begin translating prior teaching experiences to this context.
- Introduce instructors to the teaching and learning resources available through the CITL and other campus units.
- Introduce key instructional technologies used at IUB. Note that these sessions will not provide all the training instructors need, but follow-up workshops and resources are available later in the week.
- Foster a sense of community among new faculty members.
- Instill a sense of confidence in starting the semester, and lay the groundwork for continual development of teaching skill.
The 2023 New Faculty Orientation to Teaching will be on Monday, August 7, from 9:00-4:00 (light breakfast starting at 8:30) in the Indiana Memorial Union Frangipani Room. New IUB faculty members will receive an email invitation in mid-July and can register here for the event.
Note: Associate Instructors (graduate students) should instead attend AI Orientation.