The Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning (CITL) provides comprehensive services supporting excellent teaching and learning at Indiana University Bloomington.
A partnership between the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and University Information Technology Services, the CITL provides leadership and expertise to enable innovation in curricula, implementation of powerful technologies and pedagogies in and beyond the classroom, and student engagement with learning resources and materials to promote critical analytic and research skills.
The CITL’s comprehensive approach comes through its unique fusion of programs and personnel, providing services in instructional and curricular consulting, instructional technologies, service-learning, writing instruction, and the scholarship of teaching and learning. The CITL’s location on the second floor of Wells Library’s east tower also encourages close collaboration with librarians specializing in information literacy. This blend of specialties enables the CITL to offer a collaborative and dynamic way of addressing complex teaching issues.
See the CITL’s 2013 Annual Report for summaries of our services and programs, as well as descriptions of the ways the center has promoted instructional innovation at Indiana University Bloomington.
Our Mission and Vision
Mission: The Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning supports effective teaching in pursuit of transformative learning experiences.
Vision: The Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning will be widely known among IUB instructors and academic units as a welcoming community of leaders, advocates, and partners in effective and innovative teaching and learning.
- Community: We build communities of practice among the faculty (with ourselves as members) to foster collaboration and a sense of shared goals.
- Leadership: We provide leadership in developing new instructional and curricular approaches, but we also seek to foster such leadership within our faculty colleagues.
- Advocacy: We advocate for the importance of teaching and learning at IUB, encouraging its consideration as a vital task of the university worth the highest levels of attention, recognition, and funding.
- Partnerships: We seek to build partnerships with individuals and academic units so that we can encourage collaboration and better leverage our resources to affect teaching and learning at IUB.
- Innovation: We actively promote innovation as an iterative process of continual exploration, inquiry, and sharing—a process that is vital to instructors of all experience levels.
To fulfill this mission in our daily work, the staff of the CITL will:
- Provide a comprehensive approach to instructional development that integrates multiple areas of expertise—instructional consulting, service-learning, instructional technologies, and writing;
- Provide flexible, client-centered support to meet the needs of teachers, schools, and departments, including online, classroom, and in-office services;
- Encourage instructional innovation at all levels, from individual adoption of new teaching methods to the development of cutting-edge instructional approaches that reach beyond individual classrooms;
- Offer transformational programs that engage teachers in an active and ongoing process of reflective teaching and professional growth;
- Promote the incorporation of learning outcomes and assessment techniques into all teaching situations;
- Engage in strategic and faculty-centered decision-making that puts teacher needs and institutional goals at the heart of our programs and services;
- Incorporate assessment of our own programs and services to ensure value to IUB teachers and to allow for continuous improvement of the CITL;
- Hold ourselves to the highest professional standards, including respect for the confidentiality of our clients and adherence to the Ethical Guidelines for Educational Developers established by the Professional and Organizational Development Network.